If you are currently looking into using an ID card printer to print your ID cards, then you will likely need an ID software program to design your card template and create individual ID badges. You may think that selecting the right ID card printer is the most important investment in your ID card security program, however selecting the right ID software is just as important. You will spend more time working with the software than with the ID card printer.
Not all software is the same. It is important for you to choose a software best suited to fit your individual needs. All software will have common abilities to design and print cards, but there are different levels of software available and can be categorized into three levels: entry-level, mid-level and full-featured software.
Be sure to know what your individual needs are and will be in the near future in order to avoid having to upgrade software shortly after purchase.
Here is a quick glance breakdown for your reference to help in the decision making process of sorting through information to choose the right level of ID software for your ID card issuance program.
Entry-Level Software is ideal for you if:
- You are a small organization (<200 people)
- You will need to print <200 cards)
- You require simple graphics
- You plan on using small amounts of information on ID cards
- You do not need to maintain a database of card records
Mid-Level Software is ideal for you if:
- You are a small to medium size organization
- You are a medium to large size organization that will not need network capabilities
- You will have a database of the card data that has been entered in your system
- Makes reprinting of cards very easy (especially if cards are lost or stolen)
- You want added security
- Password protections
- Restrict access to only a small group of users
- Multiple logins and privileges
Full-Featured Software is ideal for you if:
- You operate over a corporate network or have multiple locations
- Need software compatible with Oracle and SQL databases
- Used multiple image sources (camera, signature capture device, fingerprint scanner, etc.)
- Need to print 2D barcodes
- Need encoding solutions for smart cards
Choosing the right ID software can be the difference between sink or swim. There are many options out there and some are better than others. We hope that this quick reference will be helpful in beginning the first stages of your ID card program within your organization.
Please contact a Card Tech ID sales representative email@example.com for assistance in choosing the ideal ID software for you. Card Tech ID currently carries Asure ID software, ID Works software and Epi Suite software.